So a couple weeks ago my colleagues and I found out, that the task force formed to look at our region’s continued role in child care delivery is recommending we phase out our child care centres. This means I will be out of a job.
The final recommendation that will be presented to our Regional Council in September, is to close all 12 of our Child Care Centres over the next 2 years. What will probably happen is we will stop enrolment in October 2012 and then they will start letting us go as the number decline. I don't anticipate that the numbers will drop drastically until summer 2013 when each centre will loose the kindergarten children. So I anticipate job security until at least then.
Because of all of this DW and I have come up with this plan, we'll probably start TTC sooner rather than later. I will hopefully get pregnant, go on mat leave and receive EI (based on my current salary) and 15 week top up, receive my severance (Not sure if I would be given this while on mat or when it ends, I have to inquire about this.) And lastly find employment prior to my mat leaving ending, hopefully within the school board. Begin working at the end of my mat leave as I will not qualify for EI after being off. Or begin work a little early if necessary and DW will take parental leave. Yup that's the plan at the moment.
I know it sounds crazy planning to have a baby while facing lay-off but the alternative is wait to get laid off over the next two years, wait to get offered my severance, find a new job (Where I will most likely make less $ = less $ on mat leave and no top up) work my required hours and THEN work on starting a family. This could take 2-3+ years!!
No comments:
Post a Comment