Monday, 23 July 2012

The unwanted bump...in the road

So my wife and I have been married almost a year now and our plan had been to start trying this summer. *Sigh Sadly our plans had to change.

I work for a Regionally funded Child Care Centre and in January all the Early Childhood Educators were called to a meeting and we were told that our centres were facing closure. The Region put this proposal through to our City Council the following week. Council decided to form a task force and gather more information before deciding to close our doors. They will meet again at the end of September 2012 and make their decision.

This has been really hard for all of my colleagues and myself to deal with this uncertainty for months! It has been draining not knowing what will happen. Most people say it's just a job, you'll find another one. But to me it isn't just a job, I felt that I was making a difference and valued and compensated well for all my hard work and dedication. Plus the benefits I currently have were supposed to help us make a baby and my salary to help provide for our family. I don't know how it is for other lesbian couples but for us I find that it can be a struggle sometimes. Don't get me wrong we are secure financially for the time being and I'm sure we will be fine. But it's like for us we aren't bringing home the combined salary that a heterosexual couple may bring home, we had to pay for our wedding on our own, have had no financial support or emotional support from our immediate family and are not skilled to do most of the modifications that we'd like to do around the house, we do try though...but there is always money going out and we have to essentially buy a baby if we want one. Sorry if I am coming across as bitter but I kinda am. 

Anyway back to the point of this post, the change of plans. Our new plan is to wait to see what Council will decide. There is a glimmer of hope for us to stay open or have a phased out closure over the next year or maybe two years. With that being said we will wait until they decide on what to do with our centres and then plan from there. If there is no hope and the closure will happen by September 2013 I think we will get working on a bun in the oven. I would like to have a mat leave while still an employee with them as my salary is higher than what I will potentially make elsewhere, so my EI will be higher and they offer a 15 week top up. The only problem with this is that if there are some jobs left or created I could be on mat leave and not be offered them if I am off for the year. What to do!!?? Oh life! 

Thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment